Do you know all about currencies?
16/Μαΐ/2016 • International Trade•
Test your knowledge and find out a few fun facts about currencies!
Find the answers towards the end of this page.
1. How many currencies are there in the world?
2. In which country do you pay in HRK?
- Hong Kong
3. When did Queen Elizabeth II first appear on Pound Sterling banknotes?
4. Why is the Dollar called Dollar?
- It’s been named after the valley in which the silver it was made from was mined
- Dollar actually means ‘to pay’ in Old English
- It’s the name of the Canadian city in which the currency was first used
5. How many currencies are pegged to the US Dollar?
6. Which G10 currency suffered from the largest depreciation against the US Dollar in 2015?
- Canadian Dollar
7. What was the first ever EUR/USD exchange rate?
8. What’s the highest-value Euro banknote?
Currencies at Ebury
Before you check your answers, we’d like to give you some quick facts about what Ebury can offer international businesses:
- Access to 140+ currencies
- Special emerging market expertise
- Dedicated client support
- Payment services
- Business lending
Now check how many answers you got right!
4. The name evolved from the German word ‘Thaler’, short for ‘Joachimsthaler’; named after the Joachim’s valley (Joachimsthal in German)
6. Canadian Dollar (-16.1%)
7. 1.1686 on 31 December 1998
8. 500 (to be taken out of circulation from 2018)
We’ve done our best to ensure that the answers above are correct but we can’t guarantee it.